Comic Book Superheroes and…Judaism?
Bam! Crash! Pow! Dive into the world of superheroes and supervillains... with a Jewish twist!
Bam! Crash! Pow! Dive into the world of superheroes and supervillains... with a Jewish twist! In this elective, we'll be looking at the Jewish roots of superheroes, from the Jewish writers of Superman and Captain America (and many others!) to their historical roots in Samson, the Golem, and more. We'll finish off by learning about the visual language of comics and trying our hands at writing our own.
- Week 1: Ancient origins: superhero tropes in the Torah and other early writings
- Week 2: Demons, Golems, and magic rabbis.
- Week 3: The Golden Age of Comics, the "language" of comic books, brainstorming our own comics.
- Week 4: Jewish Superheroes today, the "language" of comic books, we continue working on our own comics.
- Week 5: Presenting our comics!
- Blank paper (NOT lined)
- Ruler/straight edge tool
- Pencils and erasers
- Colored markers (fine tip) or colored pencils - OR - a tablet and stylus, and a drawing app you know well